I finished reading “Freakonomics” a couple of weeks ago and I’ve been meaning to mention it. The book is a fascinating, somewhat rambling, look at some odd questions that affect us all but probably never occurred to you. Questions like:
- Which is more dangerous, a gun or a swimming pool?
- What do schoolteachers and sumo wrestlers have in common?
- Why do drug dealers still live with their moms?
- How much do parents really matter?
And perhaps the one that will cause the biggest stir:
- What kind of impact did Roe v. Wade have on violent crime?
I won’t spoil it for you; it’s definitely worth reading the answers as the authors have presented them, but be prepared for some controversial answers to questions you hadn’t thought to ask.
And in the meantime, spend a little time on the authors’ blog, which explores some of these ideas and other current thoughts. It’s well worth your time.